Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cool Vs Not

Ok, I am going to start a ''cool things about mexico vs not so cool things'' list....Im sure I will have more to add everyday. By not so cool, I don't mean bad, just things Im not used to....Different is not inferior.

Cool Things About Mexico:

If you are Catholic and pass by a Catholic church, you are supposed to do some prayer/sign thing to pay respect for that particular church and wish them the best.

- F food on the roads. Always people selling food.

- S salsa. Lots of it!

- D drinks are really cheap. A bottle of purified water is like 50 cents. A can of coke is like 55 cents.


Taxi’s are really cheap. (Though I rode in one that had a dead deer foot hanging from the mirror and for every turn, the deer foot hit my leg….not to mention the risk of death from riding in one)


Not So Cool Things About Mexico:

- A Always being late. TO EVERYHTING EXCEPT CLASS! If you are to meet a friend for lunch at 12, it will be at least 1:00 before they show!

- S Service. Everything is SLOW. I mean, really slow. Its not because they are busy, its just because nothing moves fast in this country. The supermarkets always have long waits because the cashiers are so slow, and going to dinner consumes an entire night. I went to lunch by myself yesterday and was the only person in the place. It took them 30 minutes to bring my drink. I was there for 2 hours!

- Y You are strolling along the road, and all of a sudden, you get a whiff of shit smell (its waaaay worse than poop). I mean, really really gross. It smells like someone pooped on top of a dead animal and then put it in the oven.

- T Too much starch. I am so tired of beef, rice, and potatoes for dinner. It’s amazing how similar Mexico is to the Midwest.

- N Nothing is ever refrigerated. The meat from lunch, sits on the stove until you are ready to eat it for dinner. I have seen our meat sit in the 95% F house for 10 hours.

- T The pedestrian respect. Pedestrians do not have rights in the streets. I have seen so many close calls….You even have to be aware of what’s going on in the street when you are walking on the sidewalk.

- - The streets may have been built recently, but I’m pretty sure the Mayas build the sidewalks. The sidewalks are so slick, that I have slipped and fallen like 4 times. The sidewalks have not been maintained and so they have so many cracks and dangerous things in them. Everyones’ feet are busted up from falling. P.s- I have even seen a bunch of Mexicans fall…It’s not a gringo thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment